I currently work in an organization where we use Windows Hello for Business as an “two-factor” authentication method. In some cases i need to completely remove the PIN-code from the computer (without having to re-install Windows 10). This is the only way i know of that really removes the PIN from the computer. Feel free to comment down below if you know another way.
How to remove Windows Hello for Business PIN from a computer:
- The first thing we need to do is specifying the path to the NGC-folder (which holds the WHFB-keys)
- Next, taking ownership of the folder (make sure that you’re running Powershell as an administrator)
- And lastly, remove the folder and all of it’s content.
- Now you need to reboot the computer, and the PIN should now be completely removed.
- If you’re distributing WHFB using GPO, don’t forget to remove those aswell.
$path = "C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Ngc" takeown /f $path /r /D y Remove-Item -Force -Recurse -Path "$path\*" -erroraction 'silentlycontinue'
If you don’t want to use Powershell, you can follow this great guide on how to take full ownership of a folder, after that is done you just have to remove the following folder: